Monday 24 January 2011

boys don't cry

   I'd just like to say that 'Boys Don't Cry' is one of the most moving and emotional films that I've ever watched. I started watching it on my laptop last night, and I literally didn't move an inch for the entire duration - I was totally captivated.
   To anyone who hasn't seen the film; watch it. It's got such a deep and powerful message behind it, one that hit me full on. This film really shines a light on the courage it takes to be different, and Brandon (the main character) definitely makes the people who grow to love him rethink the way they view themselves. They also had to make a decision; to change who they were, or hate him. 
   It really shook me right down to the bone, and it made me question what I'd do if I was caught in a situation like that. It also stamped out my casual use of the word 'gay' as as a mild insult, especially after seeing how extreme homophobia and peoples actions because of it hurt others. I'll freely admit I cried after watching the film, it saddened me that much, because I thought I'd always tried my best to be kind-hearted and sensitive to those around me. Now I realise that my use of several words under a certain context might have been extremely hurtful, and I deeply regret that.
   I was thinking last night about all the prejudice in the world, and how racism and homophobia have several links. Not that long ago, both racism and homophobia were rampant worldwide - now though, to be racist is viewed as not only rude and inappropriate, but it's also a crime.
   I understand that homophobia is also a crime, but our generation uses words such as 'gay', 'faggot' and 'dyke' as casually as the word 'and'. This homophobia is so deeply interwoven into our collective culture that most of us don't even realise the meaning of what we are saying any more, and the pain that can be caused because of it. We don't think twice about using these words; they're just natural, whereas we realise immediately if we are being racist and we are completely aware of it.
   'Gay' has somehow turned into an insult, when once upon a time, it meant 'happiness'.
   Our generation is shaming itself, and I can only hope that in the near future we become more aware of how deep our prejudice has gotten. To anyone who has ever been hurt by homophobia, you have my sympathy and deepest apologies.

Koralyn.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment